Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nepean speedway

2 posters

Go down

Nepean speedway Empty Nepean speedway

Post by Musky015 Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:23 am

What a great day for a ride. An early start for some (Bill & I at 7am) we gathered at Bomo for an 8am getaway.
Tom, Paul, Michael K and a visitor were going to break off at Mittagong and return home to watch the tin tops go round.
So it was just Bill, Rex and I that went on to Nepean. The ride up over and through the Valley was fun, not much traffic to contend with.
A quick re-group at Sheepwash Rd then again at the Old Southern Rd for bill to re-attach his visor. The short cutters were to turn off at Grange Rd to head for Robo.
The three amigoes continued on for a quick stop at Thirlmere. Then do battle with the wind that blew up from the West, it made some of the corners interesting
to say the least. A quick re-fuel at Penrith, Bills Matchy took 8 liters, my Honda took 12!!! A good job Bill knew the way, I would have riden past, it's about
30 years since last here. Being just a club day (NSW Solo Riders) no entry fee, so we parked the bikes in the shade and wandered over to where the noise (music to my ears)
was coming. Why is it that country speedway tracks are short on shady spots for spectators? We jostled for the shade of a 10ft sapling. We were fortunate that the wind
was behind us so we didn't get dust in our eyes (a first for a speedway meet). The action was fast and furious on track with 4 compeditors in 4 lap races. Being a short
track with practically no straight the bikes are sideways the whole race. Five hundred cc's at full noise with no brakes, steering with the back wheel and rider attitude.
With the heats run it was time for the A final. All started well and were very close for 2 laps then one got a lead and opened up a 30m advantage. Entering the last corner (how can a circle have corners?) with a good lead he went a little wide and lost it. You could've thrown a blanket over the other 3 as they crossed the line.
I enjoyed the racing, it's been quite a few years, but it's thirsty work watching. Time for a beer, so it was off to Walacia pub to wash the dust out. The pub has seen major renovation work and was nice sitting out the back with a beer or two. Back on the road and battleing the wind, the next pub we passed was Thirlmere so we had better try their ale. Just a quick one there then it was back down the hill to Kangaroo Valley (you guessed it) pub. A couple there and it was back down the track to home.
A great days ride, 500K's for Bill & I, and some fast sideways dirt action to talk about for a while. I think Rex will take a while for his sight and sence of smell to return after riding all day behind the rHonda whore.
Cheers
PS: I forgot to mention on the way home a rosella tried to hitch a ride with Bill. I was behind and saw the impact with feathers flying everywhere.
Bill didn't flinch and the buzzard fell off 50m further on.Sad

Last edited by Mago on Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:35 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : wrong dudes name)
Musky015
Musky015
Admin

https://shoalhavenclassicmc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Nepean speedway Empty Re: Nepean speedway

Post by Mago Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:33 am

Nepean speedway <a href=Nepean speedway 108_zps2246b070" />
here we are at thirlmere
Nepean speedway <a href=Nepean speedway 111_zpsee896f60" />
Nepean speedway <a href=Nepean speedway 110_zpsc3931d4d" />
some first turn action
Nepean speedway <a href=Nepean speedway 109_zpsfac70de7" />
as you can see motorcycle sports are very family orientated!!
Nepean speedway <a href=Nepean speedway 112_zps3d4b4809" />
MMMM ......now if i  can just.....................

unfortuneatly for my bike the rear guard loop cracked at every fixing point on the way home( lucky it was past nowra and we were just about home..this is the 3rd time its happened and is the main reason why norton rubber mounted the engine on the commando ( next model after  my bike) ..to be fair i used to load the guard up with sleeping bags,tents etc in the early days so i will buy a new one instead of repairing it .
Mago
Mago
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mago Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:24 pm

[img]Nepean speedway 067_zps511bbd5d[/img]
Mago
Mago
Admin

Back to top Go down